Lilypie Baby Days

OLYMPE's turning ONE!
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Boss

Of the past four bosses that I've had, I think that I have learned most from the second one who took me under her wing and taught me the ways of the corporate world. Coming from a teaching background, there were a lot of adjustments in terms of work habits, hours, and person-to-person interaction. Where in the classroom I was the boss, chose my own hours (from a list of classes offerred by the department), and basically ran the show -- reporting to the head only when needed (i.e., during evaluations or on the once in a blue moon department meeting); the industry where I now work requires I report weekly on my 'deliverables', log-in at 9:00 AM and log-off at 5:30 PM, and basically be a good worker ant for the proverbial food during winter.

I still enjoy most of the activities I do, but I guess the most exciting and useful things I learn from the many model worker ants er bosses that I have had who can be quite interesting characters.

One former boss had a reputation for being stern and unapproachable, but turned out to be the best among my bosses for the work ethics and values she espoused. She would scare the wits out of newbies with attitude, and can appease top management especially when they acted like unruly kids out to create havoc in the playground. Her motto was the Japanese (or is it European?) 'Do it right the first time', which pushed us to excel in whatever task we did. The good thing was, even if we failed to do the right thing the first time, she was never one to blame you in front of other departments. She took the fall, and berated you in private. I guess her logic was we were her people and responded only to her. In a way we benefitted as we were treated with respect by other departments.

Another boss was the exact opposite, and would often point the finger at us during those interdepartment meetings. She was very personal in her approach, greeting you on your birthday and giving gifts on holidays, but she was the kind you wouldn't want to be close to because doing so will mean being ever vigilant of the knife in the back. I heard that in management meetings, she was very timid and would only speak when spoken to. I guess her silence belies some sort of evil, like one of those placid lakes that turn out to be the hideout of a serial killer.

A male boss was the cream of the crop in terms of memorable characters, as he had a huge temper which he was known for. Underneath this facade was a sweet person who treated his subordinates like his kids. He was very into the weekend outings with his subordinates, and once served as driver when he took each of us back to our respective homes even though we lived all over Metro Manila. I guess he was the guy whose bark was worse than his bite.

I am still getting to know the current boss, but the things remarkable about him at this stage are his sense of humor and this huge appetite that belies his thin frame. I see in him a potential for outdoing the former bosses, but time will only tell.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a swell blog here! I will certainly pay another visit to your blog ! I have a latest cholesterol medications site. It well-nigh handles a good deal that relates to latest cholesterol medications topics. If you give the opportunity, please come and check it out.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home