Baptism of Fire
My horoscope yesterday was an interesting read, and on the mark too. It read:
'Your emotions will take a rollercoaster ride, especially as you have to deal with adults acting like children.'
True enough, I did experience something to the effect, when I dealt with 'disagreements' at the office and, over lunch, a colleague and now subordinate who seemed at a loss career-wise. Her confession about how she was treated by her former boss who can also join the ranks of adults acting like children added only to my altogether very stressed week.
I am reminded of what my own former boss and mentor advised me when dealing with top management: treat them like kids. Which is ironic because here we are, supposedly grown up and holding jobs as well as making decisions that make or break the company we belong to, only to be treated like 'kids' or to act like them certain days of the work week.
Is being child-like though a great disadvantage? Who wouldn't want to be a child, carefree and adventurous. Unbound by the norms, curious, and open to new experiences. Sometimes, being a so-called adult isn't what its cracked up to be.
All this, I guess, is brought on by the new challenges and pressures I must now face as head of a unit. Although I am confident that I know the ins and outs of the operations, I have only begun to get my feet wet on matters concerning the people aspect of the business. This week has been a baptism of fire in terms of dealing with personnel concerns and administrative issues.
Ack. I'm starting to sound like a washed-up CEO already. Which shouldn't be THAT bad if I had the salary to match. Hehehe.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home