Rage against the dying of the light [with apologies to Dylan Thomas]
En route to the office this morning, I watched a popular morning show on tv inside the cool confines of the bus. With All Soul's Day just around the corner, the topic of conversation between two hosts was epitaphs. One of the show hosts introduced a segment where tv stars described what was to be written on their tombs. Here are some of their answers along with my thoughts in italics:
Male tv star 1: Here lies [name]. He was the first president of the world and was a great man.
We hope we do not live to see the day...
Male tv star 2: Makulit. [He further explains that he is makulit by nature.]
At least the person carving this will not have a difficult time.
Male tv star 3: My name, followed by 'Killer Smile'.
Was it the smile that killed him?
Male tv star 4: My name, the names of my parents, and the word 'Cute' at the bottom.
The 'cute' -- not so cute.
Female tv star 1: She tried to LIVE.
Obviously without much success.
Female tv star 2: She tried to make people happy, especially those from the gay community.
This one I like. Harhar.
Another host on the field gave his ingenious version: 'Bawal umihi dito.'
I googled 'epitaphs' and found the following interesting ones as well:
Benjamin Franklin:
The Body of
B. Franklin, Printer
Like the Cover of an old Book
Its Contents turn out
And Stript of its Lettering & Guilding
Lies here. Food for Worms
For, it will as he believed
appear once more
In a new and more elegant Edition
corrected and improved
By the Author
Anonymous: Here lies my wife
So let her lie.
Now she's at rest
And so am I.
Mel Blanc: 'That's All Folks!'
The Man of a Thousand Voices
Karen Carpenter: A star on earth - a star in heaven.
Emily Dickinson: Called Back
Jack London: The Stone the Builders Rejected
Jim Morrison: kata ton daimona eay toy
true to his own spirit
Will Rogers: I never met a man I didn't like.
William Shakespeare:
Good friend for Jesus sake forbeare,
To digg the dust encloased heare!
Blest be the man that spares thes stones,
And curst be he that moves my bones.
Virginia Woolf:
Against you I will fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding, O Death!
My personal favorite is Robert Frost's: I had A Lover's Quarrel With The World



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home