Lovely, Lively Weddings
One of my college barkada is doing it June 2005. A friend and officemate set hers for April 2005. Even my sixteen year old cousin who got pregnant will be having it next year, after the baby arrives. Of course I'm talking about weddings.
Attending weddings is probably the bane of single-but-not-looking girls [read: http://cathylikethestrip.blogspot.com/2004/10/single-but-not-looking.html] like me. Firstly, weddings always call attention to our lack of boyfriends and secondly, one never knows what ghastly creation one has to wear, especially if one was the proverbial bridesmaid-never-a-bride.
My previous experiences have always been up there on the list next to getting my teeth pulled. I don't dislike weddings per se but my personal experiences prevent me from liking them. For instance, in my cousin Noel's wedding, I stood as bridesmaid to one of the most dreadful brides I have ever encountered [let's hope my cousin doesn't read this]. At church she shouted at the poor ringbearer to stop squirming and to fix her train. Later at the reception, she nudged my cousin to skip their obligatory picture taking at the tables occupied by the groom's family while she lapped up all the attention at her side of the reception hall.
At this particular wedding, I was dressed in a tight corset-like top with flowers often found in cakes and frothy long skirt (designed by the lovely bride) that would not be out-of-place in a sagala. As there were relatives there, I also fielded questions relating to my non-existent lovelife by calling their attention to the antics of our newest family member.
Another memorable wedding I remember is my other cousin's, Nelson. Here, I was originally a guest but because they decided to have it in Batangas at 7:30 AM, my brother and I were the only ones early enough to serve as the cord and candle sponsors while an aunt took care of the veil. While there was no dress issue here, I was again asked whether I had replaced my old boyfriend ['No. Period.'], who incidentally got married without me, and why I had -gasp- gained some weight ['Not having a boyfriend does that.'].
I had attended the wedding of a friend in a beautiful silver gown of my choice, but had to stand as bridesmaid and wedding singer to my lifelong embarrassment. While I love my friend dearly, I overestimated my courage to sing in front of a crowd and could hardly remember the lyrics. It was a good thing my brother who is infinitely a better singer than I, took the microphone to save the day.
Next year will definitely have me relive these wonderful memories as quite a number of close friends and relatives shall take the plunge. Please pray for my survival.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home