Travelogue
I just love travelling. Although I haven't gone out much this year because I had to redirect my finances toward migrating, I still prefer going somewhere unknown over saving up to buy a house or car.
My first out of town trip was to Hongkong, like most Pinoys. I remember feeling very excited at the thought of getting on an airplane and spending my 18th birthday in a foreign land. Of course, as luck would have it, I contracted measles from my brother so we had to postpone our trip.
When I finally did leave with my mom, sister, and brother, we went to the airport debating who gets to sit near the window. We came to a compromise that I'd get to have the window seat in the flight to Hongkong while my sister can have her turn during the return trip. There are benefits to being the firstborn, of course.
Ours was a package trip that included a tour of the Floating Restaurant, the JC [Jacky Chan?] jewelry store, and Ocean Park. I also recall having our pictures put on plates for close to 600 pesos each plate (we took 3 plates in all), a certified tourist trap if I may say so.
I do not remember much about the food, but my mom definitely enjoyed the variety of fruits for sale in their grocery -- she bought a huge atis which cost less than 50 pesos but tasted much sweeter than the local ones available in Manila.
I would later go back to Hongkong with my best friend, Cecille, as a working gal. We toured the usual spots, but I got to enjoy the shopping more as I was not confined to working within a small allowance as I were the first time.
Last year my mom and I toured Bangkok. This was a whole new experience as we had difficulty asking for assistance because most Thais speak little English. At least in Hongkong, we could get directions from people on the streets because there was always someone who spoke English. We suffered also from the heat, which was worse than Manila at summer time. Note that we went there November, which according to our tour guide, was already their 'winter'.
But despite the language barrier and heat, we loved Bangkok for its efficient transport system [believe me when I say the traffic situation in Manila is ten times worse], inexpensive food, interesting temples, and bargain pasalubong.
Our hotel was a stone's throw away from their train similar to the Philippines MRT/LRT so we had a relatively easy way to reach Chatuchak, their must-see weekend market for the shopaholics. We were also fortunate enough to be a few meters from their famous clothes market where we bought pants, blouses, and pasalubong shirts to our hearts desire.
We visited the temples containing the Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha, and the huge Reclining Buddha which was awe-inspiring. Our package came with a complimentary tour which took us to the royal palace and pagodas where they buried their dead.
I recall a funny incident where after our visit to Chatuchak, my mom and I went back to the hotel laden with all sorts of packaged fruits, each only for 20 Baht. My mom ate durian for the first time in her life, and our room smelled like dirty socks for the rest of the night. Come morning when we went down for the buffet breakfast, we noticed a sign posted near the elevators that said 'No Durian allowed inside the rooms.'.
We befriended a storekeeper who sold quality handicrafts in one of the shops near the huge clothes market. We went back to this store a couple of times as we could not decide on what to get from all the souvenirs offered. We left three times with our bags bursting at the seams! I loved the native bags and wallets sold here, as well as the mirrored elephant figure we purchased for one of my aunts.
I suggested to my mom that we visit a large grocery to take a look at the regular items Thais buy for their daily living. Of course this was another shopping opportunity for us, with my mom buying four large packs of Downy fabric softener because they cost less than 20 Baht each (in Manila, they cost around 90 pesos).
At the Bangkok International Airport, my mom and I wondered how we managed to fit all the stuff we bought in three suitcases and two hand-carry bags that looked busog!
I look forward to going to places outside of Asia. My dream trip would definitely be one in Europe, with France as my last and most important stop. I do hope to save up for this, but meanwhile, I live vicariously through the travel journals of other people.
[Check out http://tedgoestofrance.blogspot.com/ -- I don't know this guy personally but his journal is worth reading.]



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home