Lilypie Baby Days

OLYMPE's turning ONE!
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Welcome, me!

Just signing on my very first blog. Hmmm. As you can tell from my blog title, I think I represent the twentyish[hah]goingonthirty-BridgetJoneish Pinay career gal definitely in need of a new job, new clothes, and new life!

Anyway, I finally am doing something about the rut I am in by lodging an application to migrate in cooler and greener pasture. While I do love my country, things are really going downhill with nary the light at the end of the tunnel in sight. Also, I love myself and my family more to want to have better lives for all of us.

While waiting for things to pick up [migration processing is kinda like waiting for moss to grow on a garden wall], I am here, in Makati, working my butt off doing God-knows-what for a cool but demanding boss. Hah. And of course, like all Manila born and bred Pinays, I am also preparing as early as now for the coming holidays.

Just yesterday, I went out for lunch and browsed through the stuff available in Landmark (to get a headstart on my Christmas list). I got a little confused with the decor as candles and Halloween masks stood alongside huge Christmas trees and twinkling lights. That's capitalism for you, even as Pinoys don't actually celebrate Halloween [except maybe for the rich who spend for all holidays including spend-your-fortune-on-useless-stuff day -- hah!], the one day 'celebration' merits shelf space.

I was also reminded of an art teacher who discussed how Filipinos fear empty spaces -- those huge Christmas trees were decorated to the max! One tree must have carried all available stock of these newfangled see-thru Christmas balls and their color-coordinated floral counterpart. Of course, enterprising store decorators also had the same balls hung from the ceiling to give a pseudo-chandelier effect. I think my contact lenses fogged with perspiration after five minutes on the floor...

I got back to the office of course with candles for Halloween instead of a Christmas gift for someone in my list.
Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home